Friday, March 11, 2016

Review: Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews

Title: Magic Stars
Author: Ilona Andrews
Series: Book One in the Grey Wolf Series, Set in the Kate Daniels World
Published By: NYLA (December 8, 2015)
Source: Purchased
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 4 Stars


Book Description:
From award-winning author, Ilona Andrews, an original novella, set in the New York Times #1 bestselling Kate Daniels World and featuring fan-favorites, Derek, and Curran and Kate’s very independent ward, Julie. 

Scarred, solitary Derek Gaunt has separated from his Pack, and is truly a lone wolf. With no family he answers to no one; but is fiercely loyal to a chosen few. So, when several of those close to him are murdered, he’ll stop at nothing to hunt their killer through the magic-drenched streets of Atlanta. 

Never one to be left on the sidelines, equally determined—some might say stubborn—Julie Lennart-Olsen soon joins in his pursuit; and what began as revenge turns into a race to save the city. Their search pits them against powers they never imagined and magic so old, it predates history. It may cost Derek his life, but there are things for which even he would risk everything.







Any fan of the Kate Daniels series is already familiar with Derek. His past, his struggles, his heartache and his losses. They are also quite aware of his good heart and the man that you know is now underneath all the pain and damage he has been through. 

How could anyone resist not only getting inside the famous lone wolves head but see him with Julie as well? I for one, could not.

I am so excited about this new series you guys! Not only does it flow right along with the Kate series but I suspect will be able hold it's own as a separate kick butt series of its own and that makes me so happy!

This truly has been a series favorite for so long and each book is just getting better and now this, this masterpiece of the tortured wolf and the apprentice and adopted daughter of Kate's, just wow. Julie is truly coming into her own. Growing up and learning new things, maybe not all of them good or safe, but either way, I can't wait to be there right along with these two as they learn it all, explore it all, and get it all figured out.




34 comments:

  1. oh yes it was a really fun one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, I didn't want it to be over yet.

      Delete
  2. Yay for more urban fantasy reviews, you're pretty much the Urban Fantasy queen in my eyes lol. Nice review, glad to hear this is a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh!!! How did I not know this was going to be a series?! I LOVE DEREK AND JULIE!!!! I thought it was just a one-off so now I'm absurdly excited. Can't wait to dive into this one Ali:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's labeled as a series so here is to hoping that is true and we get lots more!

      Delete
  4. WHAT?? How did I not know about this one, Ali????? I NEED! I love Derek and Julie too, so I'm really really excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one! Even more than the full length Kate book that came before it.

    I can't wait to see how the things that happened here impact the series.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I need more! They better write fast. :P

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh I need to finish the Kate Daniels series soon so I can read this one!! Great review!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these two and I can't wait to see them together. I had no idea a spin off series was in the works. I must go research. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I just happened on it by chance and I'm so glad I did!

      Delete
  8. I thought this was just a one spin off too, I had no idea it was a series. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squee...I was going to read this for Take Control, but the stupid rules say no novels *damn host* Bwahaha. I am listening to the first EDGE book which by the way is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read that series too Kim, glad you are liking it. And those darn strict hosts. :P LOL!

      Delete
  10. I'm listening to the first Kate Daniels book and liking it so far. A spin off series sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't love the series until book three so if you don't love it, hang in there, it gets tons better.

      Delete
  11. I love Julie and Derek! I cannot wait to catch up more in the series and devour this one. I'm so happy you enjoyed it so much. I can't wait to get to it all the more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, I've heard so much about this writing team and I want to try them. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am gonna read my copy after I read Magic Shifts. I've been trying to stop myself from reading them because I don't want to wait too long for the next one, but this review just made me want to go ahead now. Aside from Kate and Curran, Julie and Derek are two of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that as well Lekeisha but it really is so hard to wait!

      Delete
  14. Julie and Derek! Nothing could be better! I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the reminder! I need to grab this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! It is super short but really good at the same time. ;)

      Delete
  16. Another series I must check out. I recently found the first book to Kate Daniels in my stash, so yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo, I really hope you love it! I didn't love the first book but I was completely hooked by book three so hang in there if you aren't loving the first.

      Delete
  17. Oh yeah! I love him! I need to get started on this series.

    ReplyDelete