Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats

Title: The Wicked and the Just
Author: J. Anderson Coats
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (April 17, 2012)
Source: ARC Copy From Publisher
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
My Rating: 4 Stars


Goodreads Description:
 Cecily’s father has ruined her life. He’s moving them to occupied Wales, where the king needs good strong Englishmen to keep down the vicious Welshmen. At least Cecily will finally be the lady of the house.

Gwenhwyfar knows all about that house. Once she dreamed of being the lady there herself, until the English destroyed the lives of everyone she knows. Now she must wait hand and foot on this bratty English girl.

While Cecily struggles to find her place amongst the snobby English landowners, Gwenhwyfar struggles just to survive. And outside the city walls, tensions are rising ever higher—until finally they must reach the breaking point.

My Review:
  This book was different.

Vague I know but really, I don't know a better adjective to use than that.

The writing style (language) is very old English so a little hard to get use to at first. The two main characters couldn't be more different in personality and situations.

Both are somewhat hard to like at first, especially Cecily, to be honest, I didn't like her at all. She is selfish, immature and spoiled, yet, she is fascinating and does have some redeeming qualities..........maybe, sort of.

Gwenhwyfar is hardened and not really all that likeable either but there is an air of mystery surrounding her and her family that makes you want to discover it so of course you have to read on. You have to know all her secrets. I mean, what in the world happened to her? Why is she where she is?

Some how though, hard writing style to get use to, crazy unlikeable characters and a somewhat differet plot, all of that just makes you want to read this story more. I can't even describe it. But there is just something about the story that draws you in and makes you want to read more even though you really kind of don't want to.

I won't lie, I had a hard time getting through this one and I love historical fiction, I really do, I am a nerd that way.

And then about half way through, something happened. I found myself immersed in the story. I actually started to like Gwinny, Griffith and yes, even Cecily.

Well maybe liked is too strong of a word for how I felt for them but I did start to feel compasison for them and their situation.

Really it was a horrible time to be a Welshman in the 1290's and truly with the rebels, it wasn't all that great to be an Englishman living among the Welsh either.

I think this was a good piece to read regarding what life was like for them during this time period. It was well done and truly did keep me turning the pages towards the end.


4 comments:

  1. Great review. I am intrigued. I read a lot of classical literature, so I might actually enjoy the writing style.
    - FABR Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! It is different because it changes POV a lot but it is a really interesting read. I had no idea things were that bad for the Welsh during this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like historical books and I don't know much about this time period. I really want to know now what that thing is in the middle that kept you so engaged. I will have to watch for this one. Have a great weekend Ali:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a hard to book to describe Heidi, it was good but so so different. I really did learn a lot about the time period though and that was cool.

    I hope you have a great weekend too and thanks for commenting, I appreciate it as always!! :)

    ReplyDelete