Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: White Witch by Trish Milburn

Title: White Witch
Author: Trish Milburn
Series: Book One in a Planned Trilogy
Published By: Bell Bridge Books (March 1, 2012)
Source: ARC copy provided by NetGalley
Genre: YA Paranormal
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Witchcraft Is Her Family’s Business.No One Quits The Family And Lives To Tell About It. “Jax” Pherson has power, enough power to know her future will end in service to the dark coven her father controls. Unless she can stay hidden in a small community in the mountains of North Carolina. She must find a way to live without magic and deny the darkness she feels welling up inside her—the same dark power that fuels the covens around the world. All she wants is a normal life. A boyfriend. Friends. Some place to belong, but all too soon Jax’s barely begun new life hangs in the balance when she discovers that the boy she’s attracted to is sworn to kill her kind. He’s a hunter with good reason to kill everything that goes bump in the night. Even the most fleeting use of her power is tantamount to signing her death warrant and will bring both hunter and coven down on her. But can she walk away when her friends are threatened by an old evil? Something created by the magic of witches? Jax’s only hope of survival is to convince the boy she loves to forget everything he’s ever been taught and help her find a way to fight the covens. To believe there is some good in her.

My Review:
  It is (sadly) rare these days that you can find a really good YA book that isn't riddled with bad language, drinking, sex and other assorted things that you truly don't want a tween or even some teenagers to read about. Truly, I have no idea how some books even get put into the YA genre and it seems like that is especially true in the YA paranormal genre so it was so refreshing to read this book and not come across any of that.

This was such a nice clean read. It had a little bit of everything in it, paranormal elements, mystery, romance, action and you know what? The story wasn't lacking at all for not having any of the bad stuff in it. In fact, I probably enjoyed it even more for it.

I really enjoyed the storyline, the characters were fun and very likeable. I didn't feel any real connection to any of them but that didn't necessarily take away from the story at all, in fact it just seemed to work.

The ending wasn't so much a cliffhanger as it was more of a way of letting you know that there was more to come and I truly want to read the next one in the trilogy to see what happens in Salem.

Overall, I think this was a great read and a fun new series that I think a lot of people, old and younger will really like and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. It is nice to find a book that is actually YA appropriate. After my experience was New Girl I was wondering just how they differentiate the titles in the YA genre. I am glad you found a good read. Can't say I am a big fan of the cover though. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Heidi, the cover could have been better but the book and storyline more than make up for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved White Witch. I cannot wait to read # 2 Bane.
    White Witch is on my order for my middle school library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you liked it too! I saw that right now the ebook is only $.99. That is a steal!

    ReplyDelete