Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Review: What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Title: What Happened to Goodbye
Author: Sarah Dessen
Series: Stand Alone
Published By: Penguin Young Readers (May 10, 2011)
Genre: Realistic YA
My Rating: 4 Stars


Goodreads Description: 
 Who is the real McLean?

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.



My Review:
I love Dessen's work. I know when I pick up one of her books that I am going to get a well written wonderful, heartwarming story, with loveable characters with real problems and situations that could be anyone's and her latest book What Happened to Goodbye was no exception.

I love that all of Dessen's characters are so real. That they all have to come to terms with things in their life that they don't want to face in order to better themselves, find out who they are and be able to grow and move on.

I mean how many of us growing up didn't have to find out who we were, sometimes in the most painful ways? Or had to deal with things that we thought no one else did or that no one else would understand what we were feeling or going through? How many of us sometimes didn't wish that we could become someone different, even just for a day?

Dessen has a real talent in being able to bring your feelings and emotions out in her stories. She has a way of making you connect with the characters because you can feel their pain and heartache and experience their mistakes and feel their joy in their triumphs that will have you cheering for them one minute and tearing up for them the next.

I really enjoyed this story and felt everything Mclean was going through. I was her at one point in my life, moving around way too often and just trying to find out where I belonged and who I was so maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much or maybe it is just that Dessen is a fabulous writer. 

Either way I think anyone will enjoy this book and should give it a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment