Monday, November 14, 2011

Indie book of the week, Cicada by Belle Whittington

Title: Cicada
Author: Belle Whittington
Series: Book one in a planned series
Published By: Self Pubslished (July 14, 2011)
Genre: YA Sci-Fi 
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
Summertime had always been carefree and fun for Blair Reynolds and her friends--until they came upon something that was not human. As the group of friends band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human...something unnatural. And their existence relies on their ability to keep a secret.

My Review:
I wasn't completely sure about reading this book when the author approached me to be honest. Not because I didn't think she was a good writer (because I do) or because I didn't think the cover was pretty (because it is) but because a book about aliens? Just usually so not my thing.
In fact, I think I have only read like..three in my life time. So you see why I was a little apprehensive about trying it.
Little did I know that I had nothing to fear.
This book was so great and unusual and unique and just a fun mysterious read.
We don't get all the answers to what is going on or why or even how.
Instead Belle Whittington pulls you in with the mystery and gives you little bits here and there, just enough to appease you and drive you crazy at the same time and leave your mind reeling with what in the world is going to happen next.
The book leaves you wanting more, wanting to know more about the creatures and the friends and just....well everything.
I really look forward to the second installment of the series so I can find out more. 
I really think anyone that enjoys Sci-fi will really love this book, in fact, even if you don't love Sci-fi I think you will enjoy this book. 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book! Great indie pick and Belle is a doll!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! From the description, I thought it was going to be a young adult paranormal but was very surprised to read it is sci/fi. Even the pretty cover belies the genre. I'm glad the story satisfied you yet drove you crazy at the same time; must be quite a story! Thank you for the review.

    New follower~

    Stephanie ~Misfit Salon~

    ReplyDelete
  3. StephanieD, the cover is pretty isn't it?
    Even though it isn't exactly paranormal it is still really good. Like I said, I don't normally like alien type reads but this one was great.

    ReplyDelete