Monday, October 3, 2011

The Girl in the Steel Corset (The Steampunk Chronicles #1) by Kady Cross

Title: The Girl in the Steel Corset (The Steampunk Chronicles #1)
Author: Kady Cross
Published By: Harlequin (May 24, 2011)
Genre: YA Historical/Steampunk
The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)My Rating: 5 Solid Kick Butt Stars


Goodreads Description:
View a preview of this book online
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one except the "thing" inside her.

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch...

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits. Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.

Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help-and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.

But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on, even if it seems no one believes her.


My Review:
What can I possible say about this book that will even come close to doing it justice other than it absolutely rocked? Well, how about that I think Kady Cross is pure genius and come on, who doesn't want that gorgeous dress on the cover?

I LOVED this book. I mean, I really truly loved reading it. It was my first full length steampunk novel and I can now say that I am completely in love with the genre thanks to Cross. So much so, that I am completely bummed her next book isn't out yet and I will be anxiously counting down the days until it is.

This book was just brilliant. The characters, the inventions, the storyline, the mystery, the romance, the adventure, the slight paranormal aspect, the world, the time period, the clothes....okay, I could truly go on and on.
It is rare that I find a book these days that completely blows me away and it not what I was expecting or anticipating and I have to say, I love it when that happens!
I will be honest, I read a LOT of books and it is so nice to just pick one up and get completely carried away in it so much so that you wish you were there. That you were apart of their world and that they were your friends too.

So Kady Cross, you have a new fan! I will definitely be reading all of your work in the future, I only regret that I didn't pick this up sooner.
 

2 comments:

  1. I really loved this book too. Have you read The Strange Case of Finley Jayne? It was a fun short story that complements the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read The Strange Case of Finley Jane, I read it first, thankfully. It was really good too and definitely made me want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete