Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports #1) by Cherie Preist

Title: Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports #1)
Author: Cherie Preist
Published By: Spectra (Jan. 25, 2011)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 3 Stars

Goodreads Description:
VAMPIRE FOR HIRE

Raylene Pendle (AKA Cheshire Red), a vampire and world-renowned thief, doesn’t usually hang with her own kind. She’s too busy stealing priceless art and rare jewels. But when the infuriatingly charming Ian Stott asks for help, Raylene finds him impossible to resist—even though Ian doesn’t want precious artifacts. He wants her to retrieve missing government files—documents that deal with the secret biological experiments that left Ian blind. What Raylene doesn’t bargain for is a case that takes her from the wilds of Minneapolis to the mean streets of Atlanta. And with a psychotic, power-hungry scientist on her trail, a kick-ass drag queen on her side, and Men in Black popping up at the most inconvenient moments, the case proves to be one hell of a ride.

My Review:
Okay so I will admit, I wasn't sure how to rate this book after I got done reading it. I mean I liked it, it was different than other UF out there right now, way different in fact but yet I couldn't decide if that was a good thing.
I mean, I enjoyed the writing, Preist is a good writer, I just wasn't sure if I felt like I connected with any of the characters. I didn't really feel like I became invested in what happened to them. Did I like them? Sort of.
Raylene has a very dry sense of humor, which was kind of nice but she was kind of a butt too.
Adrian was funny and a great character but yet, I still didn't feel like I got enough glimpse of him to love him and care a whole lot about what happened to him in the end.
Ian was also a really interesting character and again, I liked him but I'm not sure I loved him. I wanted to feel sorry for his situation but instead I think I was more fascinated with it and just wanted to learn what he was hiding.
All in all, the series is an interesting one and something new out there in the world of UF and I definitely wouldn't mind reading the next book, in fact I plan on reading the next book because I really really want to feel that connection with the characters and I want to learn more about them. I want to like the series as much as I like the concept of the series.
I am hoping the next one will be better and will get a little more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment