Friday, July 22, 2011

The Great Debate...

What constitutes paranormal and what is fantasy?
Are the lines blurred? Is there a line at all anymore? Was there ever a line?

I think this is one of those arguments that will  never have a right or wrong answer. One that will never be solved. It is like the great debate, if  a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Ah, yes, the great mysteries of life. 

Those unanswered questions that get you thinking and keep you up at night. The ones that cause heated debates among friends and make others roll their eyes and say, "Who gives a flying leap!"

My opinion on it?


I think anything with witches and weres and vampires is paranormal.
Anything including faes and elves and goblins is fantasy. Why? Because I say so!


No really. I think this because maybe I am a little old school. I think of Lord of the Rings with elves and other dimensions and places and think fantasy.


I think of Interview With a Vampire and think, paranormal.


As for the question, is it a fine line? I think so.


It use to be that vampires and fairies never hung out. They weren't in the same world, now they are bosom buddies. So where have those lines gone? What constitutes fantasy and what is considered paranormal? 

Heck if I know! But isn't it fun to think about?

1 comment:

  1. I was just looking through your blog and saw this. SO, my thinking...
    If it is a made up world, it is fantasy. If it is in the real world but with extra things added, like made up creatures in it, it is paranormal.

    ReplyDelete